From A History of Elma, by Elizabeth D. Brown (Friends of the Elma Library, 1988):
The earliest recorded Anglican service in Elma was conducted in the home of Henry Holliday at 4th and Main Street in 1885, with Dr. Nevius, an Episcopal priest, officiating. Services were also held in the Loos family home.
A missionary for the Aberdeen congregation, Rev. L. W. Applegate, traveled regularly to Elma to conduct services there or at nearby Porter in the years 1895 and 1896. Twenty-one baptisms are recorded for that period, and Bishop Barker confirmed seventeen communicants on his two visits to Elma in 1985 and 1896. A church was built in Porter in 1895, under the direction of the Rev. Applegate, but it did not survive for long.
Later the Episcopalians met in the Baptist church in Elma, until the Rev. Dr. King was sent in 1910 by Bishop Keator. Dr. King mustered 59 Anglicans and organized a new mission congregation January 30, 1910. Some of the first members in 1910 were John Embley, A. E. Leroy and Oscar Metzger.
Bishop Keator came to Elma twice during 1911, once to ordain Alfred Frost to the diaconate and place him in charge of the Elma congregation, and once more on October 11, 1911 for the consecration of the new frame church, dedicated to St. Luke. The building, at Division and Young, is still in use. Until 1922 various clergy served the mission and in that year the Rev. George G. Ware, rector of Holy Trinity, Hoquiam, took charge. He served until 1929, when the Rev. Sylvestor Robertson, rector of St. Andres, Aberdeen, assumed charge, remaining until 1945. From 1945 to 1951 the church was served by the clergy of Centralia and Shelton. The Rev. Warren Frank was assigned Priest in Charge of a combined mission of St. Luke’s, Elma and St. Mark’s Montesano, serving until 1955.
Priests serving St. Luke’s: 1955 to 1988
- Rev. John Mann
- Rev. Rex Simms
- Rev. Charles Carmen
- Rev. Ernest Radcliffe
- Rev. Edward Winkley, O.S.L.
- Rev. Robert Christie
- Rev. Walter Knowles
1989 Reverend John Metzler conducted a period of discernment with the combined congregations of St. Luke’s, Elma, and St. Mark’s Montesano, for the purpose of self-examination of mission.
1990 The period of formation for Total Common Ministry began under the leadership of Rev. Skip Reeves, followed by Rev. Robin Moore and Rev. Joan Anthony.
1993 Rev. William G. “Bill” Mutchler was ordained priest.
1997 Rev. Lawrence Edward “Ed” Brown was ordained priest.
1998 Rev. Steve Brill was ordained priest.
2002 A second formation circle formed.
2005 Rev. Margaret Kaus was ordained priest.
2005 Rev. Joan Niemann was ordained deacon.